decorative banner image

Complaints About Minnesota State Schools


The Minnesota State is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). Under Federal Law, the state remains responsible for responding to complaints about institutions within state that offer distance education to students residing outside of Minnesota. Therefore, if you are a distance education student and you have a complaint against a Minnesota State school, then you may reach out to our office to file an official complaint against the school. Please follow the same procedures set in place for filing complaints about private colleges and career schools.

The Minnesota Office of Higher Education does not have the authority to address complaints against the Minnesota State schools for residential students. Minnesota State has a complaint policy in place to address issues brought by a student alleging improper, unfair, or arbitrary treatment. Each college or university is responsible for publishing the established complaint and grievance policies and procedures at least annually, and to inform students about how and where to obtain grievance forms.

Minnesota State Procedure 3.8.1 Student Complaints and Grievances

Please refer to your individual campus's website or student handbook for the campus specific processes and forms for filing a complaint against your institution.