decorative banner image

Minnesota Educational Assistance for War Orphans


Qualified war orphans may receive up to $750 a year from the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs to be used for tuition, books, supplies, board and room.

To be eligible for this program, you must have lost your veteran parent through death because of a service caused condition and have been a resident of Minnesota for two years prior to your application for educational benefits.

Children of deceased veterans also may qualify for free tuition at the University of Minnesota and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, until they earn a bachelor's degree. This does not apply to private institutions.

For more information, students should contact the financial aid office at the school they attend or plan to attend, their county Veterans Service Officer at the County Courthouse, or:

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Service Building, 2nd Floor
20 West 12th Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
Tel: (651) 206-2562

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader